The Making of an Improv Charity Quilt Block
If you were following along last week as I took over 52 Quilters social media accounts (which was a blast BTW), then you already know I'm working on a charity quilt intended for a local women's shelter. Just one of the many reasons why I love our quilting community!
After I posted a picture of the first block on Instagram, I received a comment from a fellow quilter who would love to be able to piece like that. I was completely touched to have someone compliment my work and I wanted to encourage them that they too could tackle such a project.
Since I am dealing solely with the scraps leftover from the QuiltCon Michael Miller Charity Challenge the Montreal Modern Quilt Guild tackled, I couldn't recreate the original block. So I put together my first Flipagram of another block (they will all be different) to help show how it all comes together.
This is complete improv. I din't have a plan. I didn't measure things out. I just started sewing strips together. And then decided to cut up them up into various sizes - mainly 5", 3" and 2"! There were a few solid scraps that I also cut into similar sizes.
From there I decided to randomly lay them out on my DIY design wall and thought it could be fun to piece the pieces together like a little puzzle based on where the pieces fit best.
Here's how it looks:
I hope this encourages you to think outside the box, skip using a pattern and just follow your gut. There is no right or wrong here. Just fun!
Never miss a post - sign up for the weekly newsletter.
Thank you for the inspiration!
Ive been doing ‘scrap management’ for the last couple weeks and had not decided on what to do with them…..until now!
I cannot wait to dive into this new adventure!
Thanks again! Judy